Friday, August 6, 2010

The creative process

Here's Mike Krahulik:

But enough about that.

This month's art jam is about drawing Felix the Cat, and I thought I'd show you all how I tackled that task, and ended up with the final drawing.

My initial approach was to do what I usually do, draw the character, but in my own style. I.e. approach it like it was my own character. In the first sketches (in the top left corner), I tried to get a feel for how what basic shapes Felix is made of. He's a very simple character, but still kinda hard to "get right". Though, I think most classical cartoon characters are like that.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if my style fitted or not, but I moved on to try and draw him in different poses and in different angles, and nothing seem to look that great. Plus, I couldn't come up with a good pose, or how I wanted him to look (evil? heroic? just plain?).

I decided to try mimic his style instead of impose my own on him, but I also knew it'd be a bit boring if it was just him, in his style. I mean, that's how every other image of him is, so what's the point? So I did the only sane thing I could think of.

And dressed him up like Super Mario.

No comments: