Thursday, April 9, 2009

Figure sketches

I did some figure sketches this morning to practice more on anatomy. I should get into the habit of doing this every day.



It’s been awhile since I actually drew on paper, and I have this bad habit of drawing way too small. The first sketch, top left, is barely six centimetres high. I used a photo of Rachel Bilson to reference the pose on it, but kept my traditional 1:5 head body ratio.

(I usually draw the head to body ratio somewhere between 1:3 and 1:6, cause I think it fits my cartoony style and… well, I just like it. I want focus on the heads and the emotions).

The sketch to the right is just a male… thing. No references, 1:5 ratio (which is why he might look a bit stumpy). I need to learn more about muscles.

The third, big one, is at 1:8 ratio – attractive proportioning. I wanted to do a more realistic body. The pose was referenced from one of my artsy books I’ve got lying around.

No comments: